DF1 by Assessment/VT Equivalence
VT by Assessment/VT Equivalence
Information for Overseas Dentists Working in NHS Primary Care
Dentists from overseas who wish to practice in the UK fall into two categories:
• Dentists from within the European Economic Area (EEA)
• Dentists from the rest of the world
Any dentist wishing to practice in the UK must be registered with the General Dental Council. Full details and the latest registration requirements are published on the GDC website:
Dentists who qualified outside the EEA are required to pass the Overseas Registration Examination (ORE) before being able to register with the GDC. (Details are available on the GDC website)
Working in NHS Primary Care
Dentists who wish to work in primary care NHS dentistry and have received a job offer, should apply to the relevant Primary Care Trust (PCT) for that area and request to be included on the Dental Performers List. Applicants are required to submit several documents and you will have to show:
• Have completed Vocational Training, or
• Exempt Vocational Training
You will be exempt if you qualified in the EEA but not the UK. PCTs may require dentists to have some form of assessment if you have had limited experience of working post-graduation, or have had a significant career break. You will also have to satisfy language requirements such as the International English Language Testing System or an equivalent if you are going to work in an NHS dental practice.
VT by Assessment / VT Equivalence
If neither of the above bullet points applies to you, you are eligible to apply for VT by Assessment (otherwise known as VT Equivalence).
If you are eligible for VT by Assessment, your first step is to secure a position within a practice. You then need to apply to the relevant Primary Care Trust (PCT) for that area to be included in their Dental Performers List (as above). The PCT can then contact the London Deanery and forward your details for assessment.
Once the Deanery has assessed the information received from the PCT, recommendations will be made in respect of your conditional inclusion on the Dental Performers List. Full details of the requirements for you to work towards demonstrating experience to VT will be given at that time. These are likely to include:
• You will submit a Key Skills portfolio six months after starting work.
• The Deanery would expect the practice to support the applicant in the preparation of the portfolio.
• The portfolio should include evidence of reflection of working practices as they relate to the competencies within the domains. (A document is supplied giving further information in this respect, including how the competencies are assessed).
• The Deanery will require a supporting reference from the practice principal.
• During the period recommended for completion of the portfolio, the Deanery will arrange a practice visit to meet with the applicant and principal/lead dentist, inspect the practice environment and offer guidance on completion of the portfolio.
• To assist applicants, the London Deanery will arrange free access to Core Skills Online. This is a pilot scheme, and we require the applicant's agreement to supply feedback to the London Deanery.
• Applicants are required to attend a Key Skills course at a local postgraduate centre. Details of the courses are available from eWisdom on the London Deanery website:
• When your portfolio is complete you will submit it to the Deanery for assessment. This can be submitted in hard copy format or as one file in electronic format. Please note that we will require an original and signed copy of the reference in hard copy.
• Once the London Deanery is satisfied that you have demonstrated all competencies, you will receive a certificate of satisfactory completion with a VT by Assessment number, and you will then be eligible to be included on a Dental Performers List without conditions.